Friday, March 01, 2013

How to make the best Choice - Jennifer Hoffman

Q&A: I Have to Make the Best Choice and I’m Stuck 

February 27, 2013
Dear Jennifer:  I’m in a point of my life where I have to decide wisely as I don’t want to repeat the poor choices I have made in the past. On the career front, I have two job offers and want to choose the best one. My relationship is stuck and I need to decide what I want to do next. Although I feel confident that I will make the best choices, I know that I am putting a lot of pressure on myself regarding this. So I feel stuck, confused and I’m so afraid I will make the wrong choice or hurt someone’s feelings. How can I choose with confidence and allow this to happen with grace and ease?

Jennifer’s Answer:  So many people are now at a crossroads in their life, feeling pressured to make great choices, and they don’t know what to do. Being aware of what you have done in the past and how those choices may have limited your life then is a good thing but this is a new phase of your life and the choices you  make today will be grounded in today’s beliefs and knowledge. Yesterday’s choices reflect yesterday’s energy. The only way to repeat them is to use the same energy to make a choice today, that you did in the past.  Your fear of the past puts you in the energy of the past and that is the only thing that will allow your former choices to become your current reality.

It’s the difference between moving towards success or trying to avoid failure. With one you are facing the future; with the other you are facing the past. The way to view the choices is not by the choice itself, but by the outcome you want to create in your life. The right choice will be totally obvious when you are clear about the kind of result you want from it. With respect to the job, do you want responsibility, freedom, financial stability, respect, promotions, a short commute, pleasant and friendly co-workers, etc.? Focus on these details and you will be led to the job choice that makes them possible.

The same thing applies to your relationship. Instead of trying to make the one you want fit or change it, shift your focus to what you want ‘a’ relationship to be like. Do you want someone who is thoughtful, kind, loving, and supportive? Do you want a relationship that has great communication, romance, fun, togetherness and excitement? What are you willing to do or be to allow that to happen? Are there any barriers that you are creating to prevent any relationship from becoming the one you want to be in? Focus on the relationship outcome you want and the one you have now will either be able to meet them or not. If it can, it will shift and become more of what you want. If not, it will end and you will create space for a new relationship that meets your needs.

Too often we think we have to take what is in front of us and make it fit what we need. And that can lead to ‘failure’ because it won’t work or it won’t flow with grace and ease. The ‘square peg, round hole’ model of choosing is not going to be easy or feel good. But if you focus instead on the outcomes you want, you set energy in motion that will allow those outcomes to be possible and what does fit them will appear in your life, what doesn’t fit them will move out of your life. And the result will be the perfect and best choice, because it will be the only choice that is obvious to you. It’s easier to know the outcome you want and create the choice that supports the outcome than to try to make a choice fit an outcome that it is not designed to fit.

Copyright (c) 2013 by Jennifer Hoffman. All rights reserved. You may translate, quote, copy or link to this article, in its entirety, as long as you include the author’s name and a working link to this website.

No comments: